Everyone has heard of the magic of fish oil and cholesterol effects, and how you can reduce cholesterol naturally with this amazing natural supplement. However, many people have no idea what effect on cholesterol fish oil has, and what the many fish oil benefits are.
The good news is that this page contains pretty much everything you need to know about fish oil, and much more besides.
Here you can learn about a natural way to lower cholesterol, how to raise HDL cholesterol without taking drugs, what are foods that help lower cholesterol, reasons for following a low cholesterol diet plan, what some of the best cholesterol lowering supplements are, and so much more.
Read on to find out more…
Natural and Powerful Fish Oil Cholesterol Effects
Fish oil is an amazing thing that you can take to help you get healthy, prevent heart problems, and keep your cholesterol under control.
There are many fish oil cholesterol effects that you need to know about, such as:
- Fish oil controls cholesterol – Did you know that fish oil can help to control and even lower your harmful cholesterol. It won’t deal with the LDL cholesterol, but it will lower your triglycerides (the forgotten member of the cholesterol family). You can lower your triglycerides level significantly by taking fish oil.
- Fish oil keeps your arteries healthy – When too much plaque builds up on the walls of your arteries, they are much more likely to crack and have serious problems. Fish oil will help to keep your arteries free of buildups, and will keep them strong and healthy. In fact, the fish oil can actually help to keep your arteries much more elastic, which will help to prevent them from becoming rigid and cracking.
- Fish oil increases good cholesterol – The good cholesterol actually helps in the battle against the bad cholesterol, and taking fish oil can give your body an edge in the war against cholesterol. Fish oil contains lots of healthy fatty acids, and these acids will be effective in keeping your heart healthy.
- Fish oil can slow the buildup of plaque – Problems usually begin to arise when the cholesterol floating around your arteries hardens on the arterial walls, and this oxidization (turning into plaque) of the cholesterol is what causes all heart attack, stroke, etc. Fish oil, however, prevents the cholesterol from becoming hard, and thus helps to prevent the problems from arising in the first place.
Isn’t it amazing how this oil that comes from fish can be so beneficial in helping you to control the byproduct of other kinds of oil? Ironic, isn’t it?
How to Use Fish Oil for Lowering Cholesterol
The recommended amount of fish oil that you should take to help control cholesterol and prevent heart disease is between 1,000 and 2,000 milligrams per day.
If you take more, you could experience serious side effects, so make sure to stick with the recommended dosage.
Once you suck down the fish oil, how does it work?
The Omega 3 fatty acids in the fish oil help to thin out your blood, thus preventing clots from forming (clots are what cause heart attacks and strokes).
These fatty acids also help to scrape all the plaque off the walls of your arteries, and it sends the plaque out the digestive system. Hypertension (high blood pressure) is also controlled by the fish oil, and lower blood pressure means less heart problems. The fish oil will keep your arteries nice and flexible, which will prevent them from cracking.
The Best Fish Oil Benefits
Everyone who takes fish oil wants some kind of health benefits, and there are many of them. Some have counted up to 20 benefits of fish oil, but many of them are only believed to be benefits (as in, not yet proved conclusively by studies).
However, some of the top benefits have been proved, and what are the top fish oil benefits?
- Improves Heart Health – As everyone knows by the fact that fish oil helps to improve cholesterol, your heart and cardiovascular system will be greatly improved by taking the fish oil. You can cut back on cholesterol, reduce the risk of hypertension, keep the blood flowing easily, and provide your heart with the nourishment it needs to keep on pumping away.
- Promotes Healthy Metabolism – Anyone who has tried to lose weight unsuccessfully knows how hard it can be to shed extra pounds when your metabolism is slower than it should be. For this reason, fish oil is so excellent, simply because it speeds up your metabolic rate and helps your body to process food more effectively. A more efficient processing of food equals better weight control and overall health.
- Reduces Cancer Risks – Fish oil is surprisingly effective when it comes to dealing with a number of types of cancer, include breast cancer, ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, and prostate cancer. It can help to stop colon cancer from advancing and consuming more of the colon, and can even help to kill off the cancer cells before they can do much damage to the body.
- Enhances Positive Mood – Most people don’t know this, but their brain is suffering from a chemical imbalance when they feel depressed or moody. The chemical imbalance is caused by a lack of fatty acids (your brain is made up of fat), but eating fish oil helps to provide your brain with the fatty acids it needs to produce the right chemicals to keep your emotions stable and positive.
Isn’t it amazing what a little bit of oil can do?
Other Uses than Controlling Cholesterol Fish Oil is Good For
The above benefits of fish oil are awesome, but did you know that fish oil can do more than just control your cholesterol, keep your heart healthy, fight off cancer, help you process food efficiently, and balance your mood?
Here are a few uses other than controlling cholesterol fish oil is good for:
- Helps keep your eyes healthy – Those with poor eyesight aren’t losing their eyeballs, but the cells that form the parts of their eyes that help them to see are basically breaking down. This is known as macular degeneration, but you can prevent this breaking down of your eye cells by taking fish oil. It will not only prevent your eyes from getting worse, but can improve their health effectively.
- Reduces risk of childhood disorders – When a pregnant woman takes the supplement, she is basically giving her child all the nutrients he or she needs to grow healthy and strong in her belly. The fish oil helps the child’s brain to develop normally, which will reduce the risk of birth defects, childhood disorders like ADD or hyperactivity, and will help the child to have a long and happy life.
- Improves your ability to focus and concentrate – Just like all the other muscles in your body, your brain needs nutrients in order to survive and function properly. However, where your muscles need amino acid, your brain needs fatty acids to function well. If you want to be smarter, improve your mental acuity, and enhance your brain’s functioning and ability to concentrate, you should feed it fish oil.
- Fights off swollen joints and swelling – Those fighting arthritis and other inflammatory disorders know just how painful swelling can be in the wrong place, but taking fish oil helps to prevent this pain. This is because fish oil is basically an anti-inflammatory substance, and it helps to stop swelling from taking place. It can fight off the arthritis and swelling, and will help to keep your joints healthy and pain-free.
Wow, the benefits just keep piling up, and fish oil is turning out to be quite an awesome thing to take.
A Natural Way to Lower Cholesterol – Being Heart Smart
Now that you know about fish oil and how it is awesome for your health, are there other things you can do to help nourish your heart and keep it healthy?
The answer is YES!!
Being heart smart is the best natural way to lower cholesterol, and you will find that there are many things you can do to care for your heart.
Aside from exercise, reducing drinking, cutting out cigarettes, and reducing stress, eating the right foods is the best way to keep your heart healthy.
Want tips on a natural way to lower cholesterol? Here are a few for you:
- 1. Eat less fat – Fat is the first thing that your body turns to cholesterol, as it cannot really be processed properly by the body. In order to keep your heart healthy and fight off cholesterol problems, cut back on all kinds of fat — even the good ones.
- 2. Eat more whole stuff – All whole grains are going to be packed with soluble fiber, which helps to dispose of the cholesterol and bad stuff in your body. However, they also contain lots of nutrients that will keep your heart healthy, so it is wise to eat more whole grains whenever possible.
- 3. Eat less fatty proteins – There are certain proteins that are very high in fat, such as processed meat, pork, and beef. Even cheese has a high fat content, and these high fat proteins should be replaced with low fat ones like tuna, lentils, beans, low fat dairy, chicken, turkey, or soy protein.
- 4. Eat more raw stuff – When it comes to food that will be good for your body, there is nothing that can compete with vegetables. Veggies contain lots of great fiber, almost no fat (most of them), and tons of nutrients that your body needs to get rid of cholesterol, stay healthy, and function properly. Fruits are also good as well, as they contain pectin, Vitamin C, and lots of other nutrients that will keep your body healthy. Stock up on these foods to lower cholesterol and be heart smart.
- 5. Eat less sodium – Sodium is found in salt, but it can also be found in lots of other places. Eating sodium causes high blood pressure, which in turn puts a strain on your heart. In order to keep your heart healthy, cut back on the amount of sodium in your diet.
- 6. Eat more regularly – If you want to control the amount of food you eat, you would do well to eat at more regular intervals. Eat 5 or 6 meals of a much smaller size per day, as that will help you to watch what you eat and feel less hungry throughout the day.
- 7. Eat less food – One of the best ways to keep your heart healthy is to reduce the amount of total food you eat, which means fewer calories that have to be processed by your body. Lowering your calorie consumption means that your body has to take fat from its stores in order to produce energy, meaning that your body burns fat rather than accumulates it.
Having a heart smart diet is the way to go, and you will find that it is the most effective way to control your cholesterol.
Top Cholesterol Lowering Supplements
There are many excellent cholesterol lowering supplements that you can take to help you control the levels of cholesterol in your body, including:
How to Raise HDL Cholesterol
Remember that cholesterol is divided into two categories: the good cholesterol (HDL) and the bad cholesterol (LDL).
Lowering bad cholesterol is important, but more important actually will be raising your good cholesterol.
Why is it so important to raise your good cholesterol?
Simple: the good stuff gets rid of the bad stuff more effectively than anything else. If you raise your good cholesterol numbers, you can be certain that your body will do all the heavy lifting and will get rid of the bad cholesterol on its own.
So how can you raise your good cholesterol?
Here are a few tips on how to raise HDL cholesterol effectively and easily:
- Get more activity – Doing regular exercise can help you to increase your HDL cholesterol by as much as 6%, so start doing moderate or vigorous exercise for at least 30 minutes per day to raise your numbers.
- Eat right – Eating foods that are low on the glycemic index and rich in fiber will be the best way to increase your HDL cholesterol, so check out the list below to help you find which foods are the best to add to your diet.
- Quit smoking – Smoking causes high blood pressure, but it also weakens the walls of your arteries and causes your body to produce less HDL cholesterol. If you want to improve your HDL numbers, stop smoking and see them rise.
- Drink a little – Drinking too much alcohol will cause your LDL cholesterol to rise, but drinking a glass of wine every day is the key to raising your HDL cholesterol. If you can moderate your alcohol intake, you are guaranteed better HDL levels.
- Lose weight – Weighing more than you should usually means that your body can’t produce enough HDL cholesterol to fight off the LDL cholesterol, so losing weight is a great way to give your body a chance in the fight against cholesterol.
- Replace fats – Your body needs certain fats, and it will require carbohydrates for energy as well. However, what you eat is very important, so you should replace the bad fats with healthy ones and exchange your refined carbs for complex ones that will actually be good for you.
Simple changes right? However, making them will take a lot of willpower, but it will be well worth it as you raise your HDL cholesterol levels effectively.
Foods that Help Lower Cholesterol
Want a list of a few foods to help you lower your cholesterol for your low cholesterol diet plan?
- Fruits and Vegetables are rich in fiber, which helps to get rid of cholesterol.
- Whole grains also contain a lot of fiber, as well as other nutrients that will keep your body healthy.
- Legumes are high in protein but low in fat, making them a great alternative to meats that are high in fat.
- Nuts, avocadoes, and natural oils contain healthy fats that your body needs, and they should replace the other fats that you consume via fast food, junk food, and fried stuff.
What Articles on Cholesterol Lowering Supplements Would You Like to Read Now
List of Cholesterol Lowering Herbs and Other Natural Supplements for a Healthy Body
Natural Cholesterol Lowering Supplements for Reducing LDL Levels
How to Use Niacin for Cholesterol Lowering: Guidelines and Recommendations
Niacin and Other Cholesterol Lowering Supplements – Which Route Is for Me?
Red Yeast Rice and Cholesterol – Is It Both Effective and Safe?
The Pros and Cons of Cholesterol Meds: Taking Cholesterol Lowering Medications for Your Health
Go to the top of this article about Fish Oil and Cholesterol
Go to the homepage Cholesterol Lowering Foods